Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Camera equipment crossroads?

But ThBut whenext the ese commentslI may may changeve camera equipment.  I need to buy something now.  But what?

Here are some fact that may lead me to make a bold decision on my next purchase(s).
  • I really do noTheset like lugging around well over a kilogram of camera equipment.  My Tokina 11-16mm is a great lens, but it is really heavy.
  • When I have been able to use Marty's L-quality lenses, my impression is split: These things make great images but are really (REALLY) heavy.
  • There are much lighter cameras and lenses available that record excellent images.
Let's see some numbers on comparable Canon APS-C and the top end of the Micro Four-Thirds world.

Item Mass DxOMark DxO Score
Canon 7D 816 66
Tokina ATX-Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX 550 12
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM 290 19
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM 625 18
Total 2281 49
Olympus OM-D E-M1 497 73
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH 300 19
Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 200 24
Olympus M.ZUIKO ED 60mm F2.8 Macro 185 21
Total 1182 64

(Masses, in grams, are from B and H.  The DxOMark scores are for the Canon lens on my camera; the Four-Thirds lens scores are from the Olympus PEN-5, which should be similar to the new OM-D E-M1.)

It looks to me that I could get sharper pictures and carry around half the weight by trading in my Canon stuff for this Micro Four-Thirds set.

You can get better DxOMark numbers from the lenses, to be sure, when they are on a Canon Full-Frame camera (5D Mark III), but it is even heavier.

Addendum, 6/5/14

These comments are no longer valid for me. I am committed to the heavy Canon equipment for now. 

But when the next EOS M comes out, ...

No comments:

Post a Comment